Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bayern complete Neuer signing

Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has completed his transfer to Bayern Munich, signing for the Bavarians on a five-year deal after passing a medical on Wednesday.
Manuel neuer Schalke

• Hesse: Schalke profit from Neuer
Bayern announced last week that they had signed the sought-after goalkeeper from Schalke, but had to wait to put the finishing touches on the transfer after he had been away on international duty with Germany in Azerbaijan.
Neuer, 25, had been expected to join Bayern since April when he confirmed he would not extend his contract at Schalke.
In the interim he was linked to Manchester United after impressing in Schalke's Champions League semi-final defeat to the Red Devils, however, he said at his unveiling he only ever intended to join Bayern.
"I feel this is the right move because I am the Germany goalkeeper and Bayern Munich is the best club in Germany,'' he told Bayern Munich's official website.
"I'm glad that everything is now behind me. I am looking forward to this challenge, the first training sessions and training camps.''
Neuer is the first major signing for new boss Jupp Heynckes with the club having also plumped for Brazilian defender Rafinha as they look to rebuild after a relatively poor season last time out.
The Bavarians only snuck into third place in the Bundesliga table, crucially qualifying for the Champions League to salvage something from a disappointing campaign, but goalkeeper proved a problem position for them.
However, Neuer believes he can help turn the club's fortunes around as he looks to cement his growing reputation with silverware.
"I know definitely what I want,'' he said. "I look forward to these five years. I know Munich and I think I will feel comfortable here. I know this is not normal for me, this is all new territory. But I look forward to it.''

No comments: